Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Welcome.

Family.  
Like branches on a tree, we all grow in different directions, yet our roots remain as one.

It is fitting that we celebrate the inauguration of our renewed commitment to our family ties by first honouring the life of a lady who gave us those roots.  
One year ago today, we lost our matriarch, our rock.
And with that, we remember.
Please stay tuned in the coming days to reminisce with us and remember a lady who's life was full of grace and beauty.

We will start with Kyla.

Grandma.

It’s hard to think that it has already been a year since I received the morning phone call from mom, telling me that Grandma had passed away.  I think of her often and have also had many dreams of her, something that I didn’t have when she was alive.  Some days my eyes well up with tears with the sheer magnitude of how much I miss her and wish she were here with us.

When I think of Grandma, I am filled with sensory memories.  The sound of the gravel on the pavement under your tires when you pulled up in front of their house.  The feel of the green turf carpet as you walked up the stairs to the front door.  The sound of the screen door and the impact of the smell of something baking as you opened the door.  We would always knock on the door but walk right in, calling for Grandma and Grandpa as we entered the house.  Soon enough you would hear the pitter patter of Grandma’s feet as she rushed to the door.  Grandpa soon followed, unless he was napping.  And then her voice.  Her voice saying my name, welcoming me home.  And her hands. The feel of her hands on each cheek as she gave me a kiss.  Her hands were cool and soft to touch.  I miss that so much.  When you were in the house, you would here the tick tock of the clock and feelGgrandma around you all the time.  She would have her hand on your waist, or arm, connecting with you.  I sometimes forget how important that is to people, the power of touch.  Then, she would assume her position cuddled with Grandpa and we would talk.

I was so caught off guard when Deena posted her video of Grandma a few months ago.  I didn’t realize how much I missed the sound of her voice.  That was something that had disappeared much longer before she was actually gone.

So, to all of us missing this truly amazing woman, let us reminisce.  Lets close our eyes and breath in all of those memories of someone who truly shaped our lives. 
Je t’aime, grandmère.




No comments:

Post a Comment