Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

From Rob, Deena and Sarah

From Rob:

Well for me my favorite memory and what I miss about her are one and the same..the wonderful greetings we always got in the doorway when we came to visit and talking with her in french, big kisses on the cheeks!
Grandma didn't teach me any direct lessons but what I can take away now is her always enduring love for the family. There was always a smile on her face with laughter to follow. I don't have a single memory of anything but love coming from her and Grandpa. 

From Deena:

I miss her presence and the genuine interest and pride she had in the lives of her grandchildren.  She was so humble and honest.
I miss witnessing the pure love in Grandpa's eyes when she was around.  I love the way he treated her and the playful side he would have around her.

From Sarah:

Two main dreams I have always had were to get married in Marcelin church and to have all four grandparents at my wedding. 
I didn't cry at all during the wedding until at the very end when we were standing together during the last song that Stella was singing, Andrew leaned over to me and said look Sarah, all four grandparents are watching us. And when I looked down sure enough they were all smiling, looking at me and Andrew and Grandma Diehl was waving to me from her wheel chair...that is the reason I started to cry at the wedding. I was so happy that she lived long enough to see me married and that Andrew met her.
- your favorite memory of Grandma- getting ready for bed with grandma while grandpa was away hunting. I loved wearing her night gowns that hung on the rack in the corner of her bedroom. They were a really soft worn out material that smelt like her. We would each have a glass of water at the bedside (she put her teeth in mine once). She always slept right close to me and we both faced the inside. She didn't have bad breath when she slept but it was always really warm and it bugged me when she would breathe and it would go up my nostrils.
- what you miss most about her- her presence. She was the type of person that you always thought they would be there, kinda like you would die before they would. When I went to Rivier to live, it never crossed my mind that she wouldn't be there when I came home. Same goes for went I left to Calgary. Grandma being with my family was always just a given so now when I come home from Nova Scotia, its weird, her lack of presence really changes the visit.
- the most important lesson she taught you- to respect grave yards and the people who are buried there.



No comments:

Post a Comment