Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Phyllis

Favorite memory:

My 12th year was my luckiest year.  It was the year that I became Christine's Godmother and it was the year that Mom decided that I needed a new winter coat.  She put out the call to her Mom and sisters.  Mamere (sp?) would  visit the homes of all of her daughters and among them they would  pool resources to meet the needs.  And, they had the talent to truly produce magic.  I will never forget standing at attention while I was measured, pinned and rotated to make sure their design was a perfect fit.  I LOVED my winter coat.  It was glorious green.  With an imitation brown fur' wedding ring' collar.   And, it was one time when Mom was totally focused on me.  I didn't even know I needed a new winter coat!

What I miss:

What I miss the most about Mom is that she always needed to know my whereabouts. I believe that was true for all of us.  I never went anywhere without calling Mom to let her know I was going away and the first thing I did when we got home was phone and let her know I had returned safely.  It's the strangest thing now not have to report in.   Everyone deserves a Mother such as mine who is always interested in the safety and well-being of their children.   It was great.

Most important lesson:

Mom's character is her greatest lesson to me;  she never spoke badly of anyone, ever. And, she was very forgiving.  She was such a hard worker but it was all to the benefit of others.  What did she ever ask for for  herself?  Very, very little.  I hope we gave her enough because she deserved the world on a silver platter.

No comments:

Post a Comment